This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 3 January 2016

Dewi Sri - stage 1

This is a painting to go in Volume Two "Gods and Goddesses" of The Fantasy Illustration Library's series of books (I had one in the first book "Lands and Legends") published by Michael Publishing in the USA.
I chose the Balinese rice and fertility goddess, Dewi Sri...well I would wouldn't I? I have depicted her as a kind of Balinese cosmic dancer holding a sheaf of rice with more in her dancer's head dress. This is meant to be more of a fantasy image of her although I have given her some correct Hindu decoration on the lower half of her costume. She dances within a fantastical landscape of rice padis, a misty green world contrasting against the warm reds and oranges of the figure (complementary colours).
Naomi Wood modelled for the figure but I used the face of a dancer I had photographed many years ago in Bali (sorry Naomi the face has to look Balinese!).
This stage was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and turpentine. I then washed in a tonal underpainting with a rag using the same paint mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment