This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Naomi Red


 I decided to call this "Naomi Red" as I am just about to start a companion painting called "Naomi Gold"- a title I used on an abandoned picture from a few years ago. I love red in paintings particularly in figurative ones and have usually struggled with it whenever I do one but I thought that I would give it another try. I am currently exploring the possibilities of parts of a picture fading into a colour or tone and thought that I would try it on a figurative piece (something I rarely paint these days). I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it on this one and I just decided to wing it and see what I came up with - I quite like it but as ever still basically dissatisfied with the end result. it's OK...

The lovely Naomi Wood is the model (as usual!) and is based on a photograph I took of her some years ago. I always intended the darkest part of the picture to be her eye but shied away from using a cold pale violet mix for the highlights and went for a cool yellow instead; with the predominance of red the basic palette is pretty hot so the concept of cool is relative hence a pale yellow mix being used for the highlights in the end.

Oil on mdf 12" x 12".

There is a short progress through this painting including what colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment