This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 15 February 2021

Crepuscolo San Polo


 About halfway through this painting I noticed a theme that I could develop into a series so this is probably the last of these trial paintings. I liked the ambiguity of the light at the end of the passageway, was it bright sunlight streaming through the buildings, was it a very bright streetlight (unlikely all Venetian lights are quite subdued) or was something else going on up there? Something magical, something sinister? I realised that I could maybe extend my Venetian Vampires series in this direction but more importantly this could form a new series that I am probably going to call "Magic Light" in that I can try this out in landscapes as well as urban situations - a mysterious light source in an otherwise relatively conventional setting. If it can look kind of magical without going too much in a Fantasy direction that would be great.

This was originally going to be about light, design and atmosphere using thicker paint on the square format that I am returning too (and indeed painting on board again) but fortunately kind of by accident I may have stumbled on a theme that I can develop.... without trying new things out I probably would never have got here.

Oil on mdf 12" x 12".

There is a short progress through this painting including what colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment