This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 12 January 2021

Madurai - stages 1 & 2

Stage 2

 Continuing with this period of trying things out I have decided to try painting on mdf board again after a gap of at least ten years. I fancy doing something looser with thicker dabs of paint in a manner that I used to paint up to about ten years ago and thought a busy scene would be the ideal subject. I don't like the way that some of my work is getting too pretty and chocolate box, a look that no "fine art" gallery etc would be interested in so I'm going back to how I painted a while ago when I was involved with the "fine art" business a lot more. 

This is the view you get as you approach the impressive Meenakshi Temple in central Madurai, the shimmering stupas rising out of the wonderfully chaotic streets the nearer you get. I'm hoping to paint this in a precise but loose (!) way like I used to and am looking forward to pushing some paint around. I have not finally decided yet as to what the lighting is going to be but it looks like the sun will be behind us, maybe late afternoon. Final decisions will be made over my breakfast coffee tomorrow morning.

Both these stages have used my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin for the first "drawing" up stage and the second tonal underpainting stage.

Oil on board 18 1/2" x 18 1/2".

Stage 1


No comments:

Post a Comment