This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 25 January 2021

Haven - stage 1

 


A return to my favourite landscape at Cuckmere Haven for another attempt at doing something nice with this location. This one was actually conceived as dark in the foreground and lighter in the distance but looking at this first colour pass over the underpainting I can see that it would be more interesting the other way round. 

The original inspiration for this came from one of my first oil paintings back in 2004 called "Dawn Rain, Mae Hong Song" in which the painting fades into a colour at the bottom, something I wasn't planning but it just felt right to leave it like that at the time. I have often since thought about that effect and a couple of the recent trial paintings have had suggestions of this happening again so I think it's time to try a few variations on this in earnest now. The plan with "Haven" is now to be darker in the distance with the painting fading into a beautiful blue/violet towards the bottom.

Colours used so far: Prussian Blue, Ultramarine Violet, Permanent Orange, Burnt Sienna, Lemon Yellow and Zinc White.

Oil on mdf 12" x 12".



No comments:

Post a Comment