This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 18 June 2023

El Camino Del Sur


 The second in my "Into The Sun" series in which I decided to leave the Orientalism for a while and do something for my "Roadside America" series. Originally I was going to try something vaguely Bernie Fuchs but as I expected it went it's own way although it was useful for learning how to adapt my usual tonal underpainting methods for a daylight sky after all those recent nocturnes. One reason for doing some daylight paintings (apart from just having a change) was hearing a recent comment from a US gallery owner who pointed out that buyers tend to avoid the "dark" and prefer lighter daylight paintings ... in the US anyway. I'm not sure if that's true but there's no harm in doing daylight paintings anyway. On the subject of the "dark" I try to give my nocturnes a mysterious, magical feel which I think lifts them away from being depressing and also I'm trying to do stuff that nobody else is doing by mixing beauty and mystery together into often ordinary locations which I reckon when people "get" it will promote sales. 

So the title refers to this road that is heading South into the sun, maybe going on holiday ... or is it a nuclear detonation? I do like ambiguity...

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in earlier posts on this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment