This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 5 June 2023

Dori Hinoiri - stage 1


 OK trying something different now and am going to stumble out of the nocturnal sky into a bright sunny sky with what looks like the first in a new series called "Red". I love this colour in paintings but I always struggle with it as although it's an intense colour it is also quite dark so I have to rethink my lighting effects. I did a series of red paintings a few years ago to no great results so this time I'm hoping to put it to bed with what I've learned over recent series...

Hopefully the title reads as "Sunset Street" in Japanese!

This is the initial tonal underpainting stage but I'm using a mix of different colours this time - Alizarin Crimson, Transparent Oxide Red and Quinacridone Red thinned with Liquin as usual. I'm hoping this mix colour will keep the reds (and yellows) purer but at this stage you cannot tell what I'm going to with it....

The location is loosely based on a Midjourney piece which I will show in tomorrow's post update but I am only using the general structure of it as this will be all about the lighting.

Oil on linen 22" x 16"

No comments:

Post a Comment