This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 7 September 2020

Ayasofya


 I am using the Turkish spelling for the Hagia Sophia church/museum/mosque in Istanbul. I am leaving the foliage for a while as I regroup and hopefully come back to it with results nearer what I was looking for. I felt I needed something that was within my comfort zone as it were and decided to do a Tonalist/Orientalist (!) painting based on a simple colour complementary, in this case red orange/green blue. I wanted it soft, dark and moody and tried to keep detail to a relative minimum such as keeping the mosque to a silhouette not too distinct from the background sky. I quite enjoyed painting this so I am planning another Tonalist picture this time based around red, at least that is the plan.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment