This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 11 January 2024

Samui Fuyu


 As I embark on this new American landscape series the next one will be a cabin in a dark forest for which I had an idea how I could paint the snow covered ground in a different way. I decided that I would do a trial run first with a smaller painting which could double up as my painting for next month's slot on Every Day Original and thought that it would be nice to return to a Japanese theme. As it turned out the new way of painting the ground didn't work so it's just as well I did this trial painting first as it saves me loads of time and grief correcting that on a larger painting. The light area at top right was originally just an afterthought when I was doing the underpainting but as it progressed I liked the almost mystical light it had and decided to make that area lighter and the rest of the painting correspondingly darker to emphasise the lighting. I wanted it to look freezingly cold (Samui Fuyu means Cold Winter in Japanese) which is how it has turned out.

One handy bi-product of this was the discovery of some nice colour mixes based on adding white to the basic underpainting mix of Dioxazine Purple and Burnt Sienna which I may well use on the upcoming widescreen painting.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment