This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 23 January 2024

Home Sweet Home


 The next in my American Vista series, this title will change to reflect more the ideas behind them when I find the right words to elucidate them! It carries on with the general theme of this series, a human presence within a vast landscape in this case expressed as an endless cold but beautiful forest. Trying to paint something beautiful is beset with problems the main one being trying to avoid mawkishness and sentimentality and is a somewhat tricky tightrope to negotiate....I do not want them to look like a Thomas Kinkade painting!

The previous painting "Samui Fuyu" was in effect a study for this one and I'm glad I did it as I discovered that a new way of painting snow didn't work and mixing white into my basic underpainting mix of Dioxazine Purple and Burnt Sienna produced some lovely desaturated violets that I used in this painting. I'm glad I kept the light area at top right as it provided tonal variety to what could have turned out to be a uniform and possibly drab forest and the yellow/orange in the window pops out nicely but subtly from the mist and again varies the colour in the painting (there are also some hints of green in the foreground trees for colour variety too).

Oil on canvas 39" x 16".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment