This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 29 January 2024

Passing Through - stage 2


 Worked out the rest of the composition first establishing where things go, quite like the lead-in from the water and rocks on the river. I then did some preliminary washes of tone with a rag and brush to establish the tonal design and then I will finish the tonal underpainting tomorrow. This kind of notan will help me work out the sky and clouds and the sunlit landscape at left but this at least gets across the basic idea of composition and lighting that I originally had. I always saw this one as a Hudson River School feel, an epic imaginary American landscape and while sorting out some reference I decided to set it in the Fall (Autumn) and then later on have decided to base it around oranges, pinks and violets to unify the colour across the whole painting including the sky. It is an imaginary Colorado landscape which is appropriate as it may well be exhibited in a gallery in Denver CO when the series is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment