This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 2 August 2022

Yama Jinja


 A probably poor translation of Mountain Shrine into Japanese...

After recent paintings having glowing but cloudless skies I fancied painting some clouds again (in fact the next painting will have clouds too) so I returned to a Japanese theme as I enjoy painting them and they seem to be popular. Unlike recent paintings this one does not originate from a Midjourney piece (the next one won't either) as I saw it in my mind's eye fully formed although I did change the colours from cold to warm over a breakfast coffee after I had painted in the tonal underpainting. I had the stylisation of the Shin Hanga prints in my mind for the clouds but they and indeed the whole painting has a more Fantasy feel to it as I tried to get lots of movement into the composition.

My current theme of having a light on in a window is continued in this painting by having the sun within the structure of the building.

Oil on linen 22" x 16"

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment