This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 5 August 2022

Kumo Umi - stage 1


 I had the title "Sea of Clouds" in mind for this one and happily it seems "Kumo Umi" is the correct Japanese translation. I fancied painting some clouds and wasn't particularly happy with the last one so I decided to do another, this one based on a memory of being in Northern Thailand many years ago when we stopped the car at a great spot on a mountain that overlooked a valley above the clouds. Looking at this I can see that I need to slightly adjust the perspective on the temple which I can sort out tomorrow. This painting is very influenced by the Shin Hanga movement of Japanese prints from the inter war period particularly Yoshida Hiroshi whose work I love. I have a colour scheme in mind but the final decision will be made over tomorrow's breakfast coffee as I intend to put some colour into the distant sky and clouds as well as a bit more work on the foreground underpainting.

This is the initial tonal underpainting stage using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and applied with a brush and rag.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment