This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 20 October 2021

Pawn


 The impetus for this came from the distant rain in "Cafe Red" so I got on with this before I had finished the earlier trilogy of small paintings loosely themed on American road signs.

I am gradually honing down what I am trying to do with these "Roadside America"/ "The Big Sky" paintings. Each painting has a number of elements that suggest a narrative but in fact I leave that up to the viewer's interpretation as to what is going on. With this one for instance there is a moody sky with the hint of a tornado developing, there is a  deserted street - where is everybody? Are they all avoiding the incoming twister or has something dreadful happened and everybody is dead/gone? Is that bullet holes in the Pawn sign? But the power to the road crossing lights are still on so maybe it's all OK and it's just a quiet moment that has been caught... or has there been some apocalypse and everybody is dead/taken and the power is working on automatic before flickering to a final stop...

Most of my paintings are what I call from the musical term "Jams". What I mean is that they are improvisations on a basic theme - for this one the twister and the wan sunlight in the sky just came out as I painted almost like the painting itself was calling the shots as to what should be happening. Then once they were painted in that dictated the lighting which now had a brighter area at left that reflected the sunlight... all these things were not in my original plan for the painting. I like painting this way, admittedly it leaves more room for things to go wrong but also opens up the possibility of something way more interesting to happen too. I will continue to develop this different way of painting skies with flat colour as the ground instead of a tonal underpainting, this won't work for all skies by any means but it adds more to my repertoire!

Oil on linen 30" x 20".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment