This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 11 June 2019

Oliver's Island Winter Sunrise

This is the third in this short series of paintings of the same location in different lighting conditions, season etc. As the first two were cold in colour I thought that I would paint this one in warmer ones in this case a sunrise in the Winter. All these paintings are basically Tonalist in palette with this one based on a blue/green - red/orange colour complementary using relatively desaturated mixes of Prussian Blue, Naples Yellow, Permanent Orange, Lead Tin Yellow Lemon and Warm White with some Permanent Sap Green later on - all Michael Harding colours.
I now want to paint the last one in the Summer and have just got back from a generally frustrating trip to West London to photograph the island in Summer foliage. I managed to get the photo's but achieved little else otherwise!
I have been trying to apply the mantras stuck to my easel from trying things out earlier in the year, "Lose Edges, Join Shapes!" and "It's the Painting not the Place" (see posts on this earlier in the year on this blog). Indeed I have to start writing very soon an article for the Artists & Illustrators magazine on this very subject...
16" x 12" oil on linen.
There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting in a previous post on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment