This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 9 June 2019

Oliver's Island Winter Storm

Before getting on with "Dawn Of The Hamadryad" (and as a change from more branches and twigs) I am going to paint a series of probably four pictures of the same location under different lighting conditions, weather and time of day. I have chosen Oliver's Island on the Thames at Strand On The Green in West London and have already painted the first a few months ago, now retitled Oliver's Island Late Dusk". The Island or Ait as they are known in this area was supposedly where Oliver Cromwell stayed for a while during The Civil War but probably a myth, the London Underground bridge to Kew and Richmond can be seen at the left of the island. I have chosen a London location with one eye on entering them in the Royal Institute of Oil Painters juried show at the Mall Galleries, this year's theme being "London" - I have been accepted a number of times previously.
I'm fairly happy with it but think it's a bit too photographic for my intentions and will try and make the next one look a bit more "painterly".
Based on a blue/orange complementary I have tried to keep it relatively desaturated and cold looking in keeping with the season.
16" x 12" oil on linen.
There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment