This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 17 December 2018

Toscana

Carrying on from where I left off with "Ronda" I have incorporated the trees at left in "Ronda" into a more lively Tuscan landscape. I wanted more movement and a less oppressive atmosphere than the previous painting, a lot of the composition for this one was worked out in the tonal underpainting stage when shapes and tonal masses were adjusted using a rag and my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin. Apart from rubbing out lines I hardly use turpentine at this stage any more as I find it rubs out what is underneath too much although it is a nice way of emphasising the grain of the canvas which I might try out on some rougher canvas in another painting. I was originally planning on it being monochromatic but decided later on to use a yellow/violet complementary with the green being a mix of Permanent Sap Green and Burnt Sienna.
Maybe getting nearer to what I'm looking for.
Oil on linen 16" x 12".
There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment