This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 24 December 2018

Kingley Vale - stage 1 & 2

Stage 1
Carrying on from the last one, this is another small painting developing from remembering the two mantras stuck to my easel, "Lose Edges! Join Shapes!" and "It's The Painting Not The Place". I have chosen a fairly ordinary landscape at Kingley Vale in West Sussex and am trying to make an interesting painting out of it through design and composition and colour...and how I paint it bearing in mind the second mantra.
Stage 1 was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then was blocked in with the same mix using a rag. The white clouds were rubbed out with turpentine on a rag.
Stage 2 (actually I have completed the first colour pass now but it is too dark to photograph) is the first colour pass on the sky using a mix of Phthalocyanine Turquoise, Emerald Green, Burnt Sienna, Lemon Yellow and Zinc White for the sky and Unbleached Titanium, Zinc White, Lemon Yellow, Warm White and small amounts of the sky mix for the clouds - all Michael Harding colours.
Oil on linen 16" x 12".

Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment