This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 23 December 2018

A New Mantra

Another mantra is now stuck to my easel, "It's The Painting Not The Place". When I paint a landscape (it works fine with the fantasy work I do) I always try and get it as though you are there and therefore too literal to what's in front of me. But that is the dreaded "Illustrative" approach which tends to make your work look like many other artists and too photographic. To make my work look more distinctive it needs to be more about the painting and less about the place depicted. Many artists' work I like tend to choose a quite ordinary scene and then paint it in such a way that it becomes interesting and beautiful. I suppose avoiding The Picturesque would be a start. Maybe not explaining it very well but I know what I mean...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment