This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Shotgun Shack - stages 1 & 2

Stage 1
Another small painting trying things out, this one is of a shotgun shack I came across outside New Orleans a good few years ago. Hopefully things I learnt from the last painting will be applied to this one and am hoping to keep this more blurry and broken up than "Ninth Avenue", the brown/grey tones maybe be giving it a slightly nostalgic feel but with the threat of the stormy sky in the background.
The first stage was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin which I allowed to dry for the afternoon session when I put in the tonal underpainting using the same paint mix with a rag.
The second stage was the first colour pass on the sky and adding more tone to the building with another coat of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet. The picture will be based around a fairly desaturated complementary of yellow and violet. For the sky I used mixes of Ultramarine Violet, Van Dyke Brown, Burnt Sienna, Zinc White and Yellow Lake Deep, mostly Michael Harding paints.

Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment