This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 26 September 2022

Flight From Atlantis


 I fancied doing another dramatic Fantasy landscape so I thought that I would see what Midjourney came up with using word prompts like "volcano". Eventually it came up with something interesting but this one acted more like a trigger for a painting idea as opposed to an image that I could use in a painting as such as I hardly used much of the original Midjourney piece in the end. Once I had settled on a volcanic island the demise of Atlantis came to mind. As I looked at the Midjourney piece I viewed the dark island in the mid ground as Atlantis being destroyed by the pyroclastic flows from the volcano behind it. I thought it still needed something of interest in the foreground and had the idea of a boat escaping the destruction (a Trireme) so I ended up with a painting with a lot more narrative content than I was contemplating originally. I liked the wan sun at the top and used it to amplify the idea of the end of a civilisation by a sunlit landscape at right being blotted out by the volcanic cataclysm.

This is another small painting that I intend to show at IX in Reading PA next month.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

Midjourney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment