This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 20 September 2022

Flight From Atlantis - stage 1


 I thought that I would do another dramatic Fantasy landscape painting and started messing around with Midjourney using word prompts like "volcano". Eventually I came up with something that looked interesting that as usual acted as a trigger to a painting idea. As it was a volcanic island I started to think around the idea of Atlantis and it's demise and then visualised the dark island in the mid ground as Atlantis being decimated by pyroclastic flows from the volcano behind it. I thought it still needed something of interest in the foreground and had the idea of a boat escaping the destruction, maybe the only Atlantean survivors. I settled on a Trireme as the style of boat. I liked the wan sun at the top so I thought the idea would be better expressed by the background sky being a perfect afternoon sky gradually being blotted out by the volcanic cataclysm.

This is the tonal underpainting stage using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and applied with a rag and brush.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

Midjourney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment