This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 16 September 2022

Enemy At The Gates - stage 3


 Ah, apologies for not posting earlier stages, I seem to have forgot!

This is another painting with it's origins in Midjourney but this time I am trying to vary the colour more than the last painting which maybe is a bit too monochrome. I chose this Midjourney image as when I was looking at it I thought that the dark land in the mid distance would be great for a fortified city and then the cloud coming off the side of it could be smoke coming from burning buildings. The title then followed on from the possibility that the city is under attack and the enemy are at the gates. The whole concept made the work of John Martin spring to mind  so I channeled a bit him into the clouds and lighting. 

I started with my usual tonal underpainting, then the sky and then the fortified city. At stage 3 I have stopped after roughing in some colour to the foreground so that I can look at it over tomorrow morning's breakfast coffee and decide how I am going to paint it - I need fresh eyes to look at it.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12"

Midjourney

 


No comments:

Post a Comment