This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 14 March 2022

Station Blue - stage 1


 It has been a while since the last painting as I have been getting on with other stuff and it took a long time to box up all the paintings that are off to the buyer in Singapore - they went off by FedEx this morning. I have also been sending selected paintings from The Big Sky series to galleries in the USA and realised that maybe I have invested too much in this project of getting gallery representation in the USA, if there is no interest it will be somewhat depressing and will feel like I have been wasting my time, a lot of it. So I have had a couple of days of a feeling I've had before, what is the point of all this, does the world really need another painting by me?! Well of course the answer is no it doesn't.... but in fact it just comes down to I need to paint them because it keeps me together mentally and physically so I paint for me not the world.

So with that in mind I managed to regain some inspiration this morning and get on with another painting in The Big Sky series... and felt much better straight away.

It's an old favourite theme, the abandoned gas (petrol) station but will look quite different to the previous one as there is going to be a Maxfield Parrish influence to this with a beautiful dark blue sky against a very dark foreground but I am painting it with a soft edge to everything (hopefully).

This stage is the drawing up and first pass on the tonal underpainting as well as a start on the sky which will be achieved with glazes. Colours used so far: Burnt Sienna, Winsor Violet, Zinc White, Warm White and Cobalt Teal.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment