This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 11 January 2021

Meander


 The first painting in what seems to be an annual event of me trying things out, this time round including going back to painting on board (coming up next). I have felt that my work is getting a bit chocolate box, too pretty and picturesque and seeing as I want to get back to selling in the "fine art" market I need to give my work a more contemporary look without leaving behind things I have learnt over the past few years. I am still going to have at the core of all these trials my interest in colour, design (composition) and atmosphere.... and still develop my painting of skies without as I say, going too chocolate box.

I have returned to a favourite local landscape, Cuckmere Haven for this one as I wanted a landscape with strong shapes in it but this time instead of having the strong abstract curve of the river meander dominating the composition I have made the thin strip of light on the horizon the focus of the picture and knocked back the meander. I am trying to replicate what it would look like if you were looking towards the light in the sky and everything else goes back tonally to compensate for the brightness. To try and give it a more contemporary look I have kept the composition simple and strong with a kind of false colour to take it away from being too representational.

Oil on linen 20" x 16".

There are details of what colours I used in the previous post on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment