This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 9 January 2021

Meander - stage 1


 Actually I am behind on posting this painting, there are earlier stages but I never got round to putting them up...

So, this is the first of what seems to be an annual event, a series of painting trying things out including at some stage painting on board again. I kind of feel that some of my work is going a bit chocolate box and seeing as I want to get my work seen (and hopefully sold) in "fine art" galleries etc I need to give them a more contemporary feel but still incorporating my strengths and interests, colour, design and atmosphere.

I have gone back to a favourite Sussex landscape relatively near to where I live, Cuckmere Haven except that I am trying to curb my penchant for the picturesque and concentrate instead on the design (composition) by simplifying the landscape to just the meanders of the river and a strip of bright sky. I think it's important to still use what I have learnt about painting skies as that is an aspect of my work that people seem to like so I intend to utilise skies wherever possible.

It is based on a yellow/violet colour complementary, the colours I used were: Ultramarine Violet, Manganese Violet, Winsor Violet, Permanent Orange, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Light, Zinc White and Warm White.

The curve of the river will not be as prominent as it appears here. Oil on linen 20" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment