This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 5 January 2021

Isola di Tessera


 Anyone that has caught the Alilaguna water bus from Marco Polo airport to Venice will pass this island along the way in fact it is the first one you pass. I suspect that it is called Isola di Tessera because of it's small size being likened to a tiny tessera tile that makes up a mosaic. I went for a moonlit look based on a blue/orange complementary, the lights of Marco Polo airport can be seen in the background.

Although in one way I am happy with this picture I am also concerned that it is too "pretty", a bit chocolate box. Originally I had much brighter reflections of the moon in the foreground water but took them right back as to me it was looking too corny. I know that some people will like it but this hasn't a hope of getting into a "fine art" gallery which is what I am aiming for. I need to do work that is more contemporary and a bit less specific to the location so with that in mind I am going on what seems like my annual Period Of Trying Things Out again.

I think I know what to to try out, the basic things that I try to combine can remain the same, colour, design and atmosphere because I need to keep these things that can make my work stand out and whatever I come up with it must remain true to me and not emulating other artist's work, I need to combine aspects of what I was doing ten/fifteen years ago with what I have learnt about oil painting on canvas since.

So prepare for a possible flurry of new stuff that will hopefully be more interesting and indeed interesting to some galleries again. Seeing as we are locked down again for at least six weeks this seems like the ideal time to go for it!

Oil on canvas 23 1/2" x 23 1/2".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment