This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 6 August 2020

Going Home - stages 1 & 2

I have enough paintings for the moment in my The Big Sky series and have been having some niggling thoughts about the thickness of paint that I have been using and when looking at how I used to paint say ten years ago, I feel that I have lost something even though I have gained many others. So this is the first in a short (?) series of smaller trial paintings, this one being rush hour in Anywhereville USA, a line of cars leaving town to get back home after work, a blaze of red tail lights leading to a dusk sky - so I guess it must be Winter. Unusually for me these days this picture has a lot more bustle and human activity in it, I guess I'll class this one as a painting to go in my Roadside America series.
The tonal underpainting was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna thinned with Liquin, the same mix being applied later on with a rag for the tone.
The first colour pass on the sky used mixes of the following colours: Indranthene Blue, Permanent Orange, Ultramarine Violet, Lemon Yellow and Zinc White.
Oil on linen 20" x 16".



No comments:

Post a Comment