This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 26 January 2023

Lonely Street


 The second of my paintings to have this title... it's the name of the street, "lonely" isn't an adjective... Actually as a friend pointed out there is an implied story in here and I know what my back story is to this but I like other people coming up with their own stories for this so maybe it can also be titled "Lonely Street" with "lonely" as an adjective...

This is the fifth in my "Snow" series and references my work from some years ago when it was influenced by Edward Hopper although I also see a bit of Magritte in there too. This one is actually influenced by a Hopper etching called "Night Shadows". I wanted a surreal and mysterious feel to this one with a strong design that relies on a good placement of the figure within the composition. I originally saw this in my mind as based around desaturated blues but the painting had other ideas about that and came out in this violet/orange combination which is fine with me. Even the falling off of the brightness of the snow towards the right was unplanned...

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment