This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 13 March 2023

Shortcut


 You could shave ten minutes off your journey downtown if you leave the main road and go up this shortcut.... perhaps not.

The sixth in my "The Sleeping City" series this one is another about the contrast between the down at heel poor neighborhood and the glitzy Downtown, still kind of Edward Hopper in Gotham City. Maybe too many in this series are too downbeat so the next one might be a bit less so... I wanted to do a painting that featured pools of light with the usual imposing monolithic Gotham City-like buildings in the distance. I want all my paintings to look like paintings and not photographic in style even though I am working in a Realist manner I try to suggest detail through scuffy marks etc as opposed to doggedly painting it all in and kill the atmosphere. That is the nearest I get to the current obsession with "mark making" in Contemporary Art... although in a way these are fantasy paintings as well... I tread a fine line between the two, whether I'm successful or not....

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment