This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 26 March 2023

All Nite


 This is probably the last for a while in "The Sleeping City" series although I do have an idea for one more called "The City Awakes"....

As expected I became sick of painting windows but there was no way of avoiding them if I was to get the idea across. I had tried to do this idea before but couldn't come up with a satisfactory composition until this point; I liked the idea of a solitary all night bar with it's lights in the middle of a deserted street in a sleeping city. I have added to the Edward Hopper in Gotham City feel a touch of Surrealism as I have made the city streets unnaturally deserted and dark (in a normal city there would be street lights on for instance at least) around the welcoming lights of the bar.

Based on a yellow/violet colour complementary, the tricky bit was lighting it so that it was dark but a lot can still be seen of the buildings etc. This with all the windows made this painting quite slow going...

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment