This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 1 November 2021

Stop


 Another Roadside America landscape (or is it part of my "The Big Sky" series?) where I am trying out using reds and in this case, pinks. I wanted a fairly desolate and lonely location offset by a beautiful sky above it to in some ways to highten the melancholic aspect but also in way giving it a feeling of hope maybe too? I like pictures that have an ambiguous quality to them and always try to avoid "Pretty" and more interested in Beauty but with an edge of menace or unease. In fact earlier on in this painting I came up with a phrase when I was thinking about what I was trying to achieve in my work - Beautiful Unease.....that seemed to cover it.

I have a thing about desolate crossroads, probably resulting from the myth about Robert Johnson selling his soul to The Devil at a crossroads somewhere in Mississippi in exchange for mastery in playing the Blues.

I tried to make the sky look as rich in colour as I could by painting the landscape in dark unsaturated colours as a contrast.

Oil on fine cotton 20" x 16".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment