This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 25 November 2021

Cold Front


 I seem to be in a phase of painting vast spaces with flat horizons at the moment so here's another one and indeed the next one too as this painting has gave me an idea for another. The location is in New Mexico and the sky is a combination of a memory and a bad photograph taken from a train on my way back from London late on a Winter afternoon recently. It seems from a bit of research that it was a cold front passing overhead hence the title of the painting. I decided to have some snow on the ground for this one as it does snow in New Mexico in the Winter and I felt it would be a nice change from my recent regular desert landscapes.

This is another in my Roadside America/The Big Sky series of paintings in which I feel that I am developing a "look" i.e. a dark mainly monochrome landscape using a lot of transparent paint set against a clean but dramatic sky. I actually used to paint this way over forty years ago and it has taken this long to realise what I was doing so that I can now develop it in a more rational and directed way!

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

There is a short step-by-step progress including the colours I used through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment