This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 21 December 2019

Marabout

Another monochrome oil painting this time using a subdued blue/green over what is hard to see here but a base ground of pale lemon yellow. I first gave the whole canvas a coat of a mix of Titanium White and Cadmium Yellow Light acrylic as I thought there would be less chance of it lifting when I started to "draw" up the painting in oil afterwards - I use turpentine to wipe out mistakes and this would probably take off the background colour too particularly if it was an oil background.
I mixed up a decent amount of the blue/green, enough to last through the whole painting as it is difficult to remix the colour if you run out, the slightest difference in the mix shows surprisingly more than you would think. I used a mix of Prussian Blue, Winsor Green and permanent Orange (to temper the saturation) thinned with Liquin, applied with rag for the sky and the footpath shadows.
A Marabout is a shrine to a Muslim Holy man, mostly in North Africa.
I was originally going to paint it in daylight but soon realised that a moonlit picture would suit the blue colouring.
Oil on linen 16" x 12".

No comments:

Post a Comment