This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 1 August 2013

Stockbridge 6

This follows, after a 14 year gap, from a series of paintings of Sarah Stockbridge, actress, model and muse of the fashion designer Vivienne Westwood. I wanted to try a figurative painting on canvas that takes advantage of the woven texture to paint in a soft style with lots of lost edges between the figure and background. I also wanted the background to be in some way the focus of the painting by being an intense field of colour with some texture to give it more interest. I used a rag to apply the layers of colour in the background and also the "black" (a mix of Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine Purple and Permanent Sap Green) of the dress and hair. I was pleasantly surprised by the softness that was easily achieved by working on canvas which makes me wish I had tried it years ago! There is a step-by-step sequence of this painting on previous posts in this blog. 16" x 16" oil on canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment