This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 28 July 2013

Stockbridge 6 - stages 1 and 2

This is the next in a series of portraits first painted in the late 1990's (after a gap of 15 years!) of Sarah Stockbridge, the model and muse of the fashion designer Vivienne Westwood. The first 5 were painted in acrylics, gold and bronze powders but of course I have changed media a number of times since then. For this one, again on canvas, I want the figure set against an intensely coloured, subtly textured background, the lightest area being the shoulder although I don't want the figure too bright against the background as I am after quite a moody painting. It was first "drawn" up in Ultramarine Violet and then I blocked in the background in a mix of Venetian Red, Dioxazine Purple, Liquin and turpentine with a rag, spattering it with turpentine and wiping off afterwards for some texture. I then blocked in the darks with a mix of Dioxazine Purple and Permanent Sap Green and painted the skin with a thinned Ultramarine Violet, all with Liquin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment