This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 18 July 2023

Galata


 The fourth in my series "Into The Sun" all of which so far have been challenging for different reasons. Galata is a district of Istanbul with the Galata Bridge and in the distance the Galata Tower and if memory serves me well is a university district. This one has been challenging because I started painting it with only an approximate idea of how I wanted it to look -  sometimes this approach works out and I end up with something new and different... in this case it just meant it took a long time to paint because I had to keep making decisions as I went along. Originally I saw it as a much simpler image with the mosque dark against a simple background and was happy with the general composition but as I started painting it became obvious that I had to put more detail and definition into the background which in turn meant that the foreground would have to have more too. This led to me painting in far more finicky detail than I intended. I'm relatively happy with it but....

Based on a yellow/violet colour complementary with an obvious use of the Rule Of Thirds in the composition. Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment