This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 13 December 2022

The Gate of Bab Al Shams

 


Just taken a short break from the tree paintings to return to an Orientalist picture for my upcoming slot on Every Day Original on the 28th of December. This is an imaginary gate in an imaginary city maybe somewhere in North Africa with my hopefully correct (but with my apologies if it isn't) Arabic translation for gate of the sun which is of course the whole point of this painting. I wanted it looking hot and dusty and went for an analogous colour combination based around yellow/orange although at one point I did dither about introducing a tiny area of it's complementary opposite, blue/green... but decided against it. I enjoy painting old and weathered masonry and buildings particularly if they are Orientalist and is in fact just about the only time I use relatively thicker paint, something I would like to do more of but doesn't seem to suit my style apart from buildings...

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a (very) short step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment