This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 14 December 2018

Toscana - stage 1

Carrying on where I left off with "Ronda" I have incorporated the trees at left in "Ronda" into a Tuscan landscape with a livelier more expressive landscape. I want a lot more movement in this one as the last one was too still so I hope to paint a more expressive stormy sky. I am trying to avoid horizontals and verticals apart from the cypress trees which will act as a counterpoint to the flowing diagonals. Probably going to keep it fairly monochromatic although we will see what I decide tomorrow morning when I resume work on it. Still trying to follow my mantra of "Lose Edges, Join Shapes!" 
This stage was barely "drawn" up at all, just some very basic lines for placement with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then everything else put in using the same paint mix with a rag. The tonal underpainting stage is a good time to adjust the composition as I did here because you can see how the tonal masses will work against each other and problems can be worked out here and not later on in the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment