This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 10 November 2018

Cloudscape 4 - stages 1 & 2

Stage 1
For this one I wanted to work in a very limited palette and to keep it very dark and moody. I chose to locate it on the Brighton and Hove seafront with an advertising ice cream cone, normally associated with happy times set against a lowering sky and deserted seafront path. I might call it "Wish You Were Here" even though I have used the title before.
Stage 1 was roughly "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then using the same paint mix but thinned with turpentine the tone was applied with a rag.
Stage 2 was the first colour pass on the sky which although not apparent in this photo the colour is a warm brown grey partially achieved by letting the underpainting colour show through. I did not use black, Unbleached Titanium was used as the "White" at this stage with the greys made up of mixes of Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Indigo, Zinc White and Lemon Yellow, mostly Michael Harding colours.
I have actually already finished the painting but am waiting for the paint to dry so I can scan it as digital photography does not come close to the colours and tones that are in the painting itself.

Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment