This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 15 February 2016

The Lost Cathedral - stages 1 and 2

Stage 1
I have decided to take a little break from the intensely coloured pictures (and red) for a while and do a moody and subtly coloured snow landscape as a change. The influences are Caspar David Friedrich and Monet for this one, planning to base it on a red/orange - blue/green complementary colour axis, hoping to make it look very cold and moody with a dark sky against the brighter snow. How I came to the title is kind of interesting: I was mulling over possible titles whilst coming back from the dentist on a bus, the titles being variants of "The  Forgotten Realm", "The Lost Realm"etc and was just thinking of "The Lost ......" when a child on the bus near to where I was sitting just said "cathedral" which I had also been considering. With that I took it as serendipity and felt that it was fate that it be called "The Lost Cathedral".....
Stage 1 was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with turpentine.
Stage 2 used the same paint mixture applied with a wide flat brush and a rag.

Stage 2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment