This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Michigan Red

The red shutters of this derelict building on Michigan Avenue, Detroit were the attraction for painting this although instead of surrounding them with the green complementary I chose analogous colours instead as I had used the red/green complementary on another recent painting. The centrally-based symmetrical composition is offset by a strong diagonal shadow occupying one third of the picture area to break this up with the lightest and darkest parts equally placed each side of the centre but of course tonally opposite to also break up the otherwise boring symmetry. Oil on linen 20" x 16". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting on previous posts on this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment