This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 24 July 2014

Plein Air Painting, Newhaven

Rich Newman, Yvette Sullivan (and Isla) and myself went to Newhaven for some plein air painting today, settling on Denton Island as the place we would set up. There was a battered old boat on the opposite shore of the river which we thought would make a great subject. This is what I came up with, a contre-jour scene concentrating on the texture of the boat and putting the background buildings into light soft focus. It was started in the usual way, a tonal underpainting using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and turpentine painted with a rag. I based it around an Orange and Blue complementary scheme. Oil on canvas 19 1/2" x 7 3/4".

No comments:

Post a Comment