This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 25 May 2023

Stamboul Moon


 The sixth in my "Arabian Night" series... and yes I know this is Turkey not Arabia! This one was going to be a campfire and tents in the desert but somehow it changed into a view of Istanbul at night. This series has really settled on a theme of moonlit nocturnes which is fine by me as I enjoy painting them. This will probably be the last but one in the series but you never know I might get some more ideas...

This is based around an old postcard view of the Eminonu district of Istanbul with the Yeni Cami mosque in the background, I have been told by a Turkish friend that this area looks nothing like this now. I was originally thinking of having a fire in the city at bottom right but could think of no good reason for it being there so I changed it to a glow from some street lighting... or maybe there is something going on there...

Based on a desaturated orange/blue colour complementary, oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment