This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 2 October 2022

The Pharoah's Barge


 Another small painting heading for IX later this month ( I'm going to have to take a couple of small ones with me in my luggage as I have to send the main batch off pretty soon) this one is based on an Ancient Egyptian theme which I don't think I've painted before. This one somehow came out of the last painting "Flight From Atlantis" but I can't pinpoint why..

It is not based on a Midjourney piece this time and is kind of based around a memory of the amazing light in Egypt in the late afternoon when I was there in 1984. I wanted to try and get that incredibly warm light that happened around 5-6 in the afternoon and for some reason decided to paint some Ancient Egyptian buildings with a boat going by on the Nile. It is kind of meant to be Karnak but as it is a Fantasy painting after all, I have incorporated elements of buildings from a few different sites along with quite a lot of invented detail too. The barge is based on the one used in the Taylor/Burton film "Cleopatra". I was also trying to get some of the feel of Edwin Weeks' Orientalist paintings too but only partially got it, he was so good....

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment