This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 2 October 2022

Rick's Cafe Americain - stage 1


 I have had this idea on the back burner for a while now and finally decided to go for it as I thought it would be a nice one to show at IX as it is different to the others (in some ways) and a lot of people love this film including me. It is of course the Bogart/Bergman film "Casablanca". The idea occurred a while ago when I was in the middle of painting quite a few Orientalist pictures of busy souks and medinas and it suddenly dawned on me that I could kind of bring them up to date (well 1942) with a painting of Rick's Cafe Americain as though it really was in the medina of Casablanca. I want to make it moody and somehow have a feel of a still from the film but in colour. I am not looking forward to painting the neon lettering in perspective but hey ho it has to be there otherwise there is no point to the painting.

This stage is the basic "drawing up" with a small bristle brush using my usual Burnt Sienna/Dioxazine Purple mix thinned with Liquin. I am going to attempt to put in the lettering tomorrow when the paint is dry with a sanguine chalk pencil as I will have more control than a brush. I will also put in some figures as I do the tonal underpainting with the same paint mix.

I am including below the Midjourney piece that is the basis of the painting although as you can see it is considerably changed. I am also showing a film still of the set in the movie.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

Midjourney

Film Still


No comments:

Post a Comment