This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 14 May 2022

Tera Kumo - stage 1


 I was just about to start on a small Orientalist painting for next month's slot on Every Day Original when I suddenly got sidetracked by another Japanese themed picture seeing as the previous two got a good reception and indeed may have sold one of them already.

Apologies to Japanese speaking readers of this blog, "Tera Kumo" is my clumsy approximation to trying to title this as "Cloud Temple" for reasons that are obvious. I quite like the compositional device of hanging everything off the left side of the painting with the trees being ideal to break up the lines. I am in fact combining certain Chinese elements into this (the mountain shapes with the trees) but as it's a Fantasy I feel OK to get away with it...

This is just the basic "drawing up" stage with a bit of tone added as due to the warmer temperature in the studio the paint had dried sufficiently to allow me a second coat. I have used the usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with turpentine.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment