This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 11 May 2022

Shinrin Taisha


 My second Japanese-themed painting in my expanding Orientalist work. I struggled with this one; my original intention was to have the foreground as a dark layer in front of the background as in the Shin Hanga prints that these paintings are influenced by but I just didn't like it so I painted a lot more light coming in. I wanted a rainy evening atmosphere that I'm not sure if I got across, I originally toyed with idea of painting in streaks of rain over the whole painting like the Japanese Shin Hanga artist Kawase Hasui did but decided against it. I think it's come out OK and will continue with the general theme of a solitary light in an evening landscape which started in my Roadside America painting "Station Blue" and has now come across into my Orientalist work.... each informs the other.

Apologies to Japanese speaking people for my bad translation of Forest Shrine into Shinrin Taisha... it's probably wrong but I'm relatively unfamiliar with their culture at the moment.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment