This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 2 June 2021

The Gardens of Alqamar - stage 1


 After a bit of a break from painting including making a start on designing a new book of my work I am now back again with another Orientalist scene. I realised that I haven't done one of an Oriental garden which is surprising as it's a pretty obvious thing to do! It started out as a moonlit scene of a mosque behind some trees in an oasis but something bugged me about it and I left it a day to stew in my subconscious and then realised as usual over my breakfast coffee that it would be great as an Orientalist garden lit by moonlight. I am deliberately mixing Mughal and Moorish architectural styles to emphasise that this is Fantasy...

This is the first "drawing" up phase of the underpainting with a bit of tone added ready for the final tonal underpainting tomorrow. I used my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and applied with a small bristle and a half inch Flat brush.

Oil on linen 16" x 12".

No comments:

Post a Comment