This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 3 April 2021

Orogrande - stage 1


 This one is kind of in between two series of mine: "Magic Light" and "The Big Sky". I am getting into a single light source somewhere in a painting and intend in this one for it to be a light on the right side of the disused petrol (gas) station building, toying with it being a sickly blue or blue/green. What ever colour I choose tomorrow morning over my breakfast coffee will set which colour complementary I use. I'm looking for a certain mood so will probably paint this more in terms of Tonalism... but we'll see what we decide tomorrow morning.

Orogrande is a small town in New Mexico and as ever I'm drawn to painting another disused gas (petrol) station in the middle of nowhere, the wan light either indicating that perhaps something is still working on this site or nobody remembered to turn off the light when it closed down.

This is the tonal underpainting stage and was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin, the tone being applied with a rag using the same mix. I have been increasingly painting in square format but I just didn't feel it was right for this so went back to rectangular.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment